Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Man I wish I was

Growing  up in Ohio ever young man want to play football for Woody Hayes at Ohio State, and I was no exception. Ever fall Saturday I would sit in front of the T.V. and watch the game and day dream of one day playing for him.

Woody coached at Ohio State for 28yr. He won five national championships'13 Big Ten Conference title, and a record of 205-61-10.This was truly an amazing task in it self. When one looks at the schedule his team played every year.

Woody was also known for his quotes "Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect."  This is by fare the most quoted one of his. My favorite is "I have had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can out work me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good. That's just the way it is, And if you believe that and live by it, you'd be surprised at how much fun you can have."

Woody was a hard worker and he wanted ever one around he to do the same. It was the only way he knew how to win. And that sometime got him in to trouble with the media and NCAA, which eventually cost him his coaching job. But in my opinion if you don't get a few black eyes in life you didn't do anything.

My uncle John went to Ohio State in the sixty and new Woody very well and says that I have the same drive that Woody installed in his players and to me that is the best complement that anyone could give a man. The respect he got was earned and that why I would be Woody any day.     

No comments:

Post a Comment